On 27 January 2014 the Diocese of Manzini will celebrate the first 100 hundred years from the day the first four missionaries crossed the border from South Africa into Swaziland. They stopped at Mbabane where after a few days bought the plot where today is the Mater Dolorosa Catholic Church and school.
The “Centenary committee” met on 13 April to update each other on the progress of the things we want to do this and next year.
At a previous meeting, it was agreed to have eight subcommittees to deal with all the details. This time it was decided to link each one to a parish. This would help avoid travelling expenses:
- Liturgy: Good Shepherd Parish (Steki)
- Entertainment: Mater Dolorosa (Mbabane)
- History and publications: St Mary’s (Lobamba)
- Catering: Our Lady of Assumption Cathedral (Manzini)
- Finance: Sacred Heart Parish (Nhlangano) and the Diocesan Parish Council treasurers.
- Hospitality: Our Lady of Assumption Cathedral (Manzini)
- Evangelization: St Constantine Parish & Fr Bongi Nhleko SDB
- Census: Regina Mundi (Pigg’s Peak)
Even though not every parish has been entrusted with an area of service, all will always be present at future meetings to guarantee flow of information.
The main celebration will be held on 26 January 2014 at Our Lady of Assumption (Manzini) being a central place in the country and easier for everyone to be part of it. The Bishops members of the Southern African Catholic Bishops’ Conference have promised to attend the celebration.